Friday 4 February 2011

Advertising boards



I received a request this week that asked me to highlight a heath and safety issue in Caernarfon.
The problem seems to be the placing of advertising sandwich style boards all around the town. It was put to me that not only was this a problem for the elderly and traffic, but it was also a big problem for the blind.
I had never thought about this before now, but having reviewed the situation in town, the person who contacted me certainly seems to have a point.

Walking down Pool Street, I came across ten boards which had people manoeuvring round them and in many instances stepping right into the path of moving vehicles. In other circumstances, vehicles delivering to shops were restricted and had to physically move the signs just to deliver.

I may be wrong, but I am sure the council banned the use of these boards two years ago? I also remember businesses having to pay for licences to erect any furniture outside their premises.

Palace Street is just as guilty and as such the whole town needs to be addressed by the council before an accident happens.
I have to say, I totally agree with the complaint and I am happy to highlight it here.

What do you think?

2 comments:

Dylan Jones said...

Great Post, These boards have been replicating themselves at an alarming rate recently.

Advertising boards + Forthcoming Pool Street Works = Llanast Go Iawn!

Cofion
Dylan

Caernarfon Online Editor said...

I've said all along, what they need to do is spend the next £2million getting the Maes back as it was.

As for the boards, well..... I guess an accident will have to happen before something is done.